Tesla Powerwall 2
The Tesla Powerwall V2.0 will soon be on sale and ready for installation in Australian homes and according to the information posted on the Tesla website retailing for around $8,750 plus installation costs.
The second generation of the Powerwall is designed to store energy generated from solar panels, this stored electricity can then be consumed in the home during the night, after sunset or during a blackout serving as a backup power source.
Powerwall 2 Features
- Maximized solar self-consumption
- Time of use load shifting
- Back-up power functionality
- Employment in ‘Off-Grid’ Solutions
Discharging the Powerwall 2 on a daily basis, the 14kWh capacity of battery storage should be enough to supply the average Australian family home with electricity throughout the night with possibly some left over the next day. It is possible to go completely off grid with the Powerwall 2 however for some it may be uneconomical to do so in 2017, this could change very soon in the future as coal fired electricity prices continue to rise and the cost of installing battery energy storage systems continues to fall. The fossil fuel generators are in fact gouging themselves out of business, perhaps the death throes of a dying industry.
Tesla Powerwall 2 Specifications
- Usable Capacity: 13.5 kWh.
- Depth of Discharge: 100%.
- Efficiency: 90% round-trip.
- Power: 7kW peak / 5kW continuous.
- Supported Applications: Solar self-consumption, Time of use load shifting, Backup, Off grid.
- Scalable: Up to 9 Powerwall 2s.
- Weight: 110 kg.
- Warranty: 10 years
- Dimensions: 1150mm x 755mm x 155mm.
- Installation: Floor or wall mounted, Indoor or outdoor.
- Operating Temperature: -4° to 122°F / -20°C to 50°C.
- Certification: UL and IEC certified, Grid code compliant.
- Compatibility: Single phase and three phase power supply compatible.
In terms of cost per kWh, the Tesla Powerwall 2 is currently the most affordable home energy storage device and can easily supply an average home with power.
Due to Powerwalls liquid thermal control system, each unit should have a relatively long lifespan for a Lithium type battery.
Powerwall 2 also has an integrated internal power inverter, this is necessary to convert DC electricity into AC power that most household appliances use. Having an internal power inverter makes the install look cleaner with just the wall mounted unit needed and no extra inverter box.