3kW Solar Power Systems
The 3kW solar system is now a popular choice for residential solar installations in Australia selling for around $4,000 to $6,500 fully installed. There are standard 3kW systems on the market, but honestly, it's not worth the time and money to install one of these inferior systems.
A 3kW system will produce roughly 70% of an average Australian households energy requirements, however, if you have some substantial power consuming devices installed like a pool pump, ducted air conditioning or any other type of large appliance that runs continuously then a 3kW system will not do much to help you reduce your electricity bills.
How many solar panels in a 3kW system?
A 3kW system will need 12 solar panels @ 250W per panel. 12 solar panels sized at 1.6m x 1m will need 20m² of roof mounting space.
Below is an image showing the size of a 3kW systems panels compared to an average nicely rounded bloke.
Here is a typical roof-mounted 3kW system.
How much electricity can a 3kW solar power system generate?
3kW's of solar panels will make between 11.5kWh to 12.5kWh of power each day, and as stated above that's near to 2/3 of what an average Australian home uses.
How much money can I make from a 3kW solar system?
How much cash you can generate from a 3kW system depends on a couple of things:
- 1. How much electrical power you consume.
- 2. At what time you use most of your electricity.
The second point, timing, is probably the most critical factor as when you use electricity determines how much solar power goes into the grid and how much you consume yourself.
The more electricity you use that comes from the solar panels, and the more significant the saving on your power bill will be. The reason is most power companies are paying you around 8c per kWh for the power you export from your solar panels but when you buy electricity from that same greedy fossil fuel company you are paying 30c per kWh, so use as much solar as you can!.
Here are three possible outcomes for the owner of a 3kW solar system.
- 1. Using 100% of the solar power your 3kW system makes, this will save you about $1,400 to $1,550 in the first year of operation and close to $44,500 over 20 years.
- 2. Half the power from the solar panels goes into the grid, and this is likely what would happen in most cases saving $900 to $1,100 for the first year and $25,000 to $26,500 in a 20 year period.
- 3. No electricity is consumed from the solar panels, and 100% of the solar power is exported to the power grid @ 8c per kWh saving you $390 to $410 in the first year and $6,990 to $7,100 over the next 20 years.
How much does a 3kW solar power system cost?
There is a significant variation in the price of this size system as they are popular and can sell anywhere from $4,000 to $7,000 depending on the quality of the components and the installation cost. One sure way to find a reasonable price is to get an Online Solar Quote.
How long until a 3kW solar system can payed for itself?
A complex question as many factors can have a big effect on the answer, how and when you use power?. Try the Solar Payback Calculator below.